Monday, December 27, 2004
 

Be Honest

Leonard Pitts poses an interesting question in his latest column: Do citizens form opinions about politicians based on facts or their own political bias? A recent, but unpublished, study indicates that bias wins hands down.

This is an interesting topic to me, and one that I have considered many times. As a moderate democrat, I asked myself if I would I have wanted a Ken Starr type to pursue Bush Sr as Clinton was pursued. Would I have wanted the dems to impeach Reagan simply because they could, as the GOP did to Clinton? Similarly, I have asked myself how I would feel if Clinton had initiated a war of choice in Iraq (under the guise of a war of necessity).

I think most people of moderate inclination are tired of the gotcha mentality of most politicians on both sides and some portions of the media. Still, we will face more of that approach as Bush cabinet and court appointees face confirmation hearings.

The real question is if the citizenry is ready to embrace a person running for office who gives honest analysis of facts, regardless of party affiliation. It is clear that the two major parties will not lead us in that direction. The dem machine squashed Dean as he picked up momentum, and the GOP derailed McCain in 2000 with vicious and untrue rumors.

Until most of can face ourselves in the mirror and honestly say that we will be guided by facts instead of party lines, we will get the politicians and government we deserve.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010