Monday, December 13, 2004
 

If You Don't Have Anything Nice To Say

Recently in his weekly column, News & Record Editor John Robinson addressed the newspaper's commitment to hire people of color, so their newsroom will look more like the communities it covers. I think it is a smart and brave move and said so at the time. I used the term brave, because I was sure that John would receive criticism for the policy.

John reports that he has received an unusually large response to his column, much of it warning against breaking employment laws. One such letter came from Jerry Bledsoe, a local novelist and former News & Record columnist.

I enjoyed much of Jerry's work for the newspaper. He showed good insight into people, and he used humor effectively. I recall one particularly touching column about his son's departure to college. However, I have noticed that his recent words are that of a curmudgeon.

Judging by everything I have read or heard first-hand from Jerry, he now uses his words to take pot shots. It is too bad that a world-class writer has become a world-class crank.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010