Tuesday, April 12, 2005
 

Better Late Than Never

I am a serious movie buff, but I am also the father of a 21-month old daughter. Added together, that makes me a DVD buff, so I see films long after their release. Thank goodness for Netflix.

I saw Ray a couple of weeks ago. Jamie Foxx's portrayal of the music legend was incredible. It was as if he was channeling The Genius himself. This is the only performance of the leading actor nominees I have seen so far, but it was easy to see why Foxx won the OSCAR.

I also saw Sideways this past weekend. I had read the rave reviews, plus I am a fan of lead actor Paul Giamatti and director/writer Alexander Payne, so I was predisposed to like this film. It did not disappoint a bit. How refreshing to see a small film about relationships among people, without the need to blow a bunch of stuff up.

This was the second straight year that Giamatti failed to garner an acting nomination for a worthy performance. I have to wonder what he will have to do to be recognized by the Academy - probably get taller, less hairy, and more handsome, unfortunately.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010