Wednesday, August 17, 2005
 

Carolinas Mid-Amateur Qualifier

I played in a qualifier for the Carolinas Mid-Amateur golf championship this morning. The Mid-Amateur is the biggest tournament for amateur golfers in NC or SC aged 30 or older and is very competitive.

I was pleased to play the qualifier at Mill Creek Golf Club, a course I have always enjoyed. I was assigned an 8:00am starting time, which I thought would allow me to beat most of the heat.

It never got very hot, but last night's storm and this morning's humid and cloudy weather kept the course pretty wet throughout the round. The course was set up almost to the tips ("the tips" refer to the maximum length of the course) at 6,950 yards, longer than a few PGA tournament courses.

I hit the ball solidly most of the day and putted well. After consecutive bogeys on the back nine, I steadied the ship and played the last five holes one under par to post 74 (+2).

The low 26 golfers of a field of 90 will advance to the championship. I hope I will be one of them.


***UPDATE***

Golfers who shot 76 or better advanced, so my 74 was good enough. I finished tied for 8th in a field of 90, which is very good for me. On to Mimosa Hills in Morganton for the championship next month.


***SECOND UPDATE***

I got an email questioning my claim of Mill Creek playing 6,950 yards. I based that info on the official scorecard of 6,887 yards, which matched my yardage book, plus an additional 63 yards to account for almost every hole having the flag placed in the back of the green. The 6,887 yards are measured to the center of each green, and the 63 yards is the exact net addition of yardage based on flag locations provided to each player.

The News & Record printed the scores from the qualifier (unposted) in Thursday's newspaper and showed the course at 6,750 yards. I am sure the N&R simply printed the yardage as it was given to them. I did not think twice about the difference, but I think it prompted the email I received.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010