Thursday, August 11, 2005
 

PGA Championship Picks

I am late getting around to my picks for the PGA Championship, which starts tomorrow at Baltusrol Golf Club. Baltusrol has been a host to several USGA championships, particularly US Opens. But this is the first time it has hosted the PGA, where the set up is typically less severe than US Opens.

Tiger Woods is Vegas' favorite in every event he enters, but I do not think this will be his week. Assuming Baltusrol has its normal thick rough, I look for a golfer who is straighter off the tee than Woods. Of the big five, that is Vijay Singh or Retief Goosen, winners the past two weeks on the PGA Tour.

From the group of golfers just behind the big five in the world rankings, Kenny Perry and Sergio Garcia stand out. Both have at least one win on a major-level course this year, so they are driving and putting well. Jim Furyk hits the ball straight and putts like a demon at times, but my gut says this is not his week either.

No golfer jumps out at me this week, and I think it is because I do not know how the PGA will set up Baltusrol. The set up is key in determining which golfers can contend. Since no one emerges in my mind as a favorite, I will say that I think Tim Clark will continue his impressive play in the majors.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010