Saturday, April 16, 2005
 

Memories Of Jerry

When I learned last week that a dear friend had died, my pain and sadness were immediate.

Jerry Chandler and I attended Northwest Guilford High School. We had several classes together, but we bonded as part of the school's marching band. The band was nationally competitive and required travel almost every fall weekend, plus another 20 hours a week of rehearsal, from late July to mid November. That we would spend a lot of time together was a given, but becoming close friends was a true gift.

Jerry was one of the nicest and funniest people I have ever known. He was always a big guy, and at first I thought he was simply fulfilling the jolly stereotype that comes with his size, but kindness was his very essence.

After graduation from NW, we both went to NC State and settled into Owen Dorm as freshmen. We had many all-night spades games, and Jerry tried to teach me how to break dance. I was lucky in the dorm lottery and got to stay on campus as a sophomore, and Jerry paired me up with another Owen resident who became one of my closest friends.

After graduation from State, I returned to campus for my girlfriend's graduation. As I zoomed in on her with my camera, I discovered Jerry sitting directly behind her. After some academic struggles at State, I was so proud that he completed his degree.

My favorite memory of Jerry occurred a few years later at our tenth high school reunion, Jerry took center stage with my high school prom date. The room seemed to clear for them, and they put on a dance exhibition a la Pulp Fiction.

Jerry touched more people in his 39 years than most will in a lifetime. I am glad we were friends, but I wish I had more than just memories of him now. The world is a little less bright without Jerry.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010