Thursday, June 23, 2005
 

A Great Gift

I had lunch with The Soldier on Monday, and then we played golf at Forest Oaks with his son and two mutual friends. It was my only chance to see him during his two weeks of R&R, and he returns to Iraq today for at least six more months.

As soon as I saw the soldier before lunch, he gave me a big hug. It was great to see my friend home, looking incredibly fit, and with a big smile on his face. After our hug, though, he managed to knock me off my feet with a gift.

He brought me a US flag from Iraq. This flag flew in an F-16 during combat, and the soldier flew with it in a C-23. The flag made a few other trips that are detailed on a certificate that is on the way to me.

He brought the flag to me as thanks for helping with his blog and a few other items while he was in Iraq. I was stunned that he would have given three seconds of thought about me when he was desperate to get home to his family. It is a wonderful gift from a friend I admire.

I have never been one to wrap myself in the flag, but I will admit this flag covered me in a wave patriotic feelings.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010