Sunday, September 18, 2005
 

Sometimes You Are The Dog...

...And sometimes you are the fire hydrant.

I knew I needed to go low yesterday to make the cut at the Carolinas Mid-Amateur. I got off to a decent start, then my swing and round collapsed on the fourth hole.

In preparation for a planned swing overhaul this winter, I made a minor change two weeks ago. I was struggling a bit with the change, and tournaments of this caliber are played on courses designed to expose any weakness in a player's game. Boy, was my unstable swing exposed.

It got so bad that I considered withdrawing from the tournament in the middle of the round. I was concerned that my terrible play would rub off on the guys with whom I was paired. I am a firm believer that my first responsibility is not to do anything that negatively affects my playing partners.

I managed to finish the round, though. And for the record, I was the only member of the group who did not throw a club or yell any profanity. So, I got that part right.

Over a dozen golfers withdrew rather than post a high score. I hated to see a score of 88 beside my name on the scoreboard, but I think I did the right thing by finishing the round.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010