Sunday, September 11, 2005
 

9/11 Ghosts

"Doug was a year ahead of me in school, but now I'm older than he will ever be. I still have the invitation to his 40th birthday party that arrived the week he died. He and Calvin are 39 and 38 for good..."

Ed Cone writes about the importance of remembering his friends in his weekly News & Record column. Doug and Calvin were two of Ed's college roommates, and they were killed in New York on 9/11/01.

Ed reaffirms that he is a gifted writer by writing so eloquently about friends lost much too young. More importantly, by sharing his feelings about his friends, he reveals his love and friendship with those guys is stronger than his sadness at losing them.

It makes me glad to be Ed's friend.

Related: three years ago Ed wrote this column about his friends. It is still the most poignant single piece I have read about 9/11.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010