Tuesday, November 09, 2004
 

Off To War

A close friend of mine was activated by the Army yesterday. His unit assembled in Butner, NC, and he will train with them over the next few weeks at Fort Bragg. Then his unit will deploy to Iraq.

I am sad that he is leaving his wife and three sons, one of whom is only three weeks old. I am sad that he has to leave his parents, who lost their other son 18 months ago. But mostly, I am angry that he is being sent to fight an unnecessary war with no firm goals and no apparent end.

My friend has shown no sadness or anger, only a sense of duty to the soldiers in his unit. He knows they depend on him, and he would not send them to Iraq alone.

He is a hero.

My friend will be blogging while in Iraq. I will add the link to his blog after he starts posting, and I hope you will take time to visit his blog.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010