Thursday, January 06, 2005
 

Talking Bout A Revolution

I have been snowed under with work for a couple of days, but I finally read Lex Alexander's report tonight. I have one word, and it's WOW!

I was impressed when News & Record editor John Robinson publicly asked Lex for his thoughts. That was a demonstration of true commitment to finding better ways of doing things. And then Lex asked for public input and got loads of it. But, I had no idea that the final product would be so visionary, wide-ranging, and posted for all of us to see.


Among Lex's recommendations:

invite area bloggers to blog budget and editorial board meetings
make archives available on line free of charge
provide revenue to bloggers who work with the N&R a la long tail
interactive assignment editor who responds to story ideas from the public


A small minority of local bloggers have convinced themselves that the N&R is working against their interests. I do not share their views, and I think if they still fell that way after reading Lex's report, they probably need a drug test.

Just the fact that the N&R is having this kind of conversation, and is doing it transparently, is a sign there is a revolution going on in Greensboro. The N&R has invited all of us to be a part of redefining journalism. Let's take them up on their offer.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010