Saturday, June 11, 2005
 

Disappointment

Yesterday's first round of the Bryan Amateur did not go well for me.

I played well early in the round and stood at +1 through eight holes. A bad swing on #9 cost me two shots, but I was hanging tough at +4 through 13 holes. That was not where I wanted to be, but I figured if I could get to the clubhouse at +4, I would still be in the tournament. Then I lost my swing.

It happens to all golfers at all levels. Everything is going along fine, then it's like you are holding a pick axe instead of a five iron.

Most days, a good golfer can fight through it and get some ugly pars, but the rust on my game showed. On the last five holes, my ball visited a cart path, a couple of bunkers, and at least one tree. I finished with 82, and I am effectively out of the tournament.

But this is a flighted tournament. The 144 or so golfers will be divided into seven or eight flights after today's round, based on their scores through 36 holes. While I can no longer contend for the overall title, I still hope to redeem myself today and hopefully be able to contend for my flight tomorrow.

It is not what I was hoping for, but I won't give up. A serious golfer never does.

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010