Friday, February 17, 2006
 

More Myths About Bloggers

Last week's article by Marta Hummel about the supposed decline of local blogging was thoroughly dissected by Roch Smith and others. That article served as a strange closing chapter for Hummel, who finally confirmed the rumors that she was resigning from the N&R this week.

Later last week, new business reporter Michelle Jarboe provided an even stranger column about bloggers in the weekly Vexed in the City feature. She admits she doesn't get blogs, which is no biggie. Hell, my wife doesn't get blogs either. What was so odd was that Jarboe painted such a hostile portrait of those of who do enjoy blogs.

"For some, it has become a staple -- a substitute for food, water, love, sex and sunlight. Gone is the intimacy of a personal phone call. When I want to find out what friends are doing, I have to read their blogs."

Hmmm. I think Jarboe revealed more about her friends and herself than bloggers.

"I want to shake these people and drag them out into the sun. I want them to take a moment to go for a swim, rub their feet through hot sand and look into someone else's eyes instead of a high-resolution screen. And then I want to turn to them and tell them how great it is, really, that they've found something they love so much, even if it is an online substitute for life."

Blogging has been an integral part of recent community building in Greensboro. I have at least a dozen new friends as a result of blogging, and HoggFest was a great example of the community, bloggers and non-bloggers, coming together to support a family. Bloggers even ventured into sunlight at that event.

I have friends who are war reenactors. I don't particularly understand that hobby, but I am glad they enjoy it and certainly feel no reason to demean them for their participation. And that is what is really bothersome about Jarboe's column. She's downright mean in dispensing her blogging myths.

At least she finally got around to a true statement in her column, "Maybe I'm just bitter."

|

<< Home

© Copyright Patrick Eakes 2004-2010